Where are the Cusps?
Where are the Houses?
Reading the Houses
- In the example below, the 1st house is in Capricorn. The astrological sign Capricorn covers the point where the 1st house cusp intersects the sign.
- The 2nd house is in Aquarius. The astrological sign Aquarius covers the point where the 2nd house cusp intersects the sign.
Find Your Rulers
- Each astrological sign has a symbol, or glyph, associated with it. Each astrological sign also has a planet that rules it.
- In the chart below you can see that the 3rd house is in Aries.
- Mars is the ruler of Aries, so Mars is the ruler of the 3rd house.
- Mars is placed in Leo in the 7th house so this person has the ruler of the 3rd in the 7th house.
Modern and Traditional House Rulers
- Aquarius’s traditional ruler is Saturn. The modern ruler is Uranus.
- Pisces’s traditional ruler is Jupiter. The modern ruler is Neptune.
- Scorpio’s traditional ruler is Mars. The modern ruler is Pluto.
- Some astrologers only look to the traditional ruler, some use both the modern and traditional rulers, some use only the modern ruler — it’s up to you.
- Aquarius covers the 2nd house cusp, therefore Uranus is the ruler of the 2nd house.
- The sign Pisces is completely contained within the 2nd house; it does not touch the 2nd or 3rd house cusp:
- In the chart above Saturn and Uranus are the primary rulers of the 2nd house and most important, while Jupiter and Neptune as co-rulers of the 2nd house are of secondary importance.
- In this example Gemini covers the 5th and 6th house cusps, so Mercury rules the 5th and 6th house.